About Me and This Blog

Hi! My name is Magie and welcome to my blog. Like a lot of people I live a pretty boring day to day life but on occasion I get to have an adventure and when I do I write about it. So here are Magie’s Adventures, I hope you enjoy reading about them. PLEASE NOTE: This Blog and reports are the property of the author and may not be copied or reposted, in full or in part, without the author's prior written permission and No Video or pictures may be re-posted or linked without express written permission of the owner!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

We Love Vampires Panel - April 29, 2010


We Love Vampires Panel

Lillian H. Smith Library, Toronto. Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tanya Huff, Robert Knowlton and Dr. Elizabeth Miller.


My friend Maggie informed me that there was going to be a panel discussion about vampires at a local library and one of the participants was going to be one of her favorite authors Tanya Huff. So I decided to attend. I’ve been to several panel discussions in the past, but always at conventions and never on their own. I did, however, find this one fascinating.

The panel consisted of Tanya Huff, Robert Knowlton and Dr. Elizabeth Miller.

And was moderated by Chris Szego.


Tanya Huff is a well-known Canadian author who writes paranormal stories. One of her series about a vampire living in Toronto was turned into a TV series called ‘Blood Ties’ and ran for two seasons.

Robert Knowlton is also writer but I am unfamiliar with his work, though he was very knowledgeable about the history of vampires in literature.

Dr. Elizabeth Miller is considered one of the most knowledgeable experts on Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula – about its origins in folklore, literature and history, as well as its influence on the culture of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.

During this panel, the discussions ranged from the origins of vampire folklore to what different cultures believed – which included older vampires didn't drink blood but instead stole food or siphoned energy off the living.

Certain books were discussed and how they help further the legend of the modern-day vampire and how vampires didn't become sexual or good-looking until sex was introduced into the literature. Beforehand they were usually ugly monsters.

And of course there was the usual Twilight bashing, and talk about how well she (Stephenie Meyer) has brought a new life to paranormal literature. There was also talk about how badly her books written. Something I personally don't agree with, but hey that's me.


I did get some video of the panel discussion.

Why do we love Vampires:



Dracula Discussion:



Twilight:



The Vampire Hunter:



Buffy:



My Question:



After the panel Tanya did stay and sign some of her books for anyone that wanted her to and I got one of her Blood Books: Blood Trail. Which was really nice of her to do.

Afterwards, some headed out for a bite to eat and margaritas but I headed home, since that was a pretty tiring day.

Magie

Report edited by the WONDERFUL Ali! Thank you Ali!

No comments: